Dental Implants from Top Dentists in Blue Ash, Ohio
Why Dental Implants are the Best Way to Restore your Smile
You’ve heard it mentioned before, but you may not know exactly what it meant. What is a dental implant? In patients who are good candidates, dental implants are the best solution for replacing missing teeth, because it replaces the aesthetic and biological of the tooth you lost or had pulled.
A dental implant is a cylindrical post, most often made of titanium, which acts as the replacement for the lost tooth’s root. It is surgically placed in the jawbone where it can fuse with the bone and become a strong foundation for the replacement tooth. The implant itself is one of three parts: implant, abutment and implant crown. These work together to create a natural looking and feeling tooth.
If you are in the Cincinnati area and need dental implants, Dr. Scott Malavich and Dr. Andrea Schmerler of Beckham Square Family Dental in Blue Ash can help. We install implants and implant crowns all the time. Often, our patients forget they even have an implant crown after healing is complete.
If you think you might be a candidate, here is what you need to know about dental implants:
How Does A Dental Implant Work?
The dental implant procedure is a long-term process, but it has permanent results.
First, your Cincinnati dentist installs the actual dental implant into the empty tooth socket. Often, there is a significant healing time required after this procedure, where the cosmetic dentist waits and monitors the growth of your jawbone around the implant. The idea is that the bone will fuse to the implant, effectively replacing the missing tooth’s root.
Once the area is healed, the abutment is placed on top of the implant, at the gum line; this device connects the replacement tooth (implant crown) to the implant post.
The implant crown is made to match the other teeth, and it is securely attached to the abutment. Implant crowns are most often made of porcelain. The installation of the implant crown secures the position of the implant rooted in the jaw bone.
Dental implants can replace a single tooth, several teeth individually, or act as a support for a denture or a bridge. The presence of implants and crowns in cases of empty tooth sockets has several benefits that run deeper than cosmetic dentistry, since it replaces everything – from root to tip.
Advantages of Dental Implants
The following are some of the features of dental implants that make them the best option for replacing teeth:
- Protecting healthy bone: Leaving an empty space in the jawbone will cause the jawbone to deteriorate and lose its strength. Dental implants will preserve and stimulate the jawbone.
- Preserving the alignment of your bite: Because an implant and its crown replace a tooth and its root, it stops your other teeth and your jaw from shifting and creating other cascading issues that people eventually have with dental bridges and dentures.
- The best long-term solution: Dental bridges will only last seven years before they break, and dentures need to be remade even more often as your jaw bone moves and deteriorates. One the other hand, dental implants can last a lifetime when properly cared for.
- Keep the natural shape of your face: Missing teeth can cause the face to appear sunken. Dental implants can preserve the overall shape of your face.
- No more embarrassment: Life can be more enjoyable when you don’t have to worry about missing teeth causing your appearance to make you uncomfortable in public, dentures making clacking sounds when you talk, or having a bridge you need to pop out every once in a while to eat or clean.
What to Expect From a Dental Implant Procedure
Implants often require more than one visit – a form of dental surgery is required to place the implant in the jawbone. The area must heal before further steps can be taken. Very little discomfort is involved, and an over-the-counter pain medicine will alleviate any pain. When the jawbone has grown around the implant, the dentist performing the procedure can then attach the abutment and the tooth. Sometimes the replacement tooth is called an implant crown.
Dental implants can replace one tooth or all of the teeth. This is the best option for someone whose teeth have been damaged by disease or an accident, because you need stable bone tissue in your jaw for an implant to properly integrate with the bone.
Contact Beckham Square Family Dental for More Information about Dental Implants
Beckham Square Family Dental offers family and cosmetic dental services to patients located in Sharonville, Evendale, Springdale, Cincinnati and the surrounding areas. Our dentists and staff take pride in giving each of our patients dental care that is safe, effective, friendly, and maybe most important of all, gentle. Even though implants are considered a surgical procedure, the discomfort is minimal when done with a skilled and gentle hand.
If you are considering dental implants, contact Beckham Square Family Dental at 513.489.7800 for an appointment – or use the contact form below. Don’t delay and risk a greater problem; let us help you restore the beauty and health of your smile.
AAID: Seven Benefits of Dental Implants